Friday, July 23, 2010

One German conversation I have mastered so far..

Since I have Socks with me, it is taken for granted that I need to walk her at least twice a day, these days given her advancing age it is more like 3 or 4 times a day. Almost from the very first day I have had this conversation with other people who walk their dogs at the same time…you would think that after all these months I would meet the same people walking their dogs but no, I have this conversation if not once a day, definitely once in two days and it goes like this…

Somebody will be walking their dog in the park and of course as the dogs come close they are always straining at their leashes as they have seen one another.

The owner will then ask me:

Junge oder Mädchen (Boy or girl)

And I say: Alte frau (Old lady)

Na ja (not so), wie alt? (how old)

Last year I replied: Vierzen jahre (14 yrs old), this year I say Funfzen jahre (15 years)

Aber schön na…(but she looks good doesn’t she for her age…)

And then I say:

Sieht nicht gut, hört, nicht gut und hat arthritis…(Can’t see very well, cannot hear very well and she has arthritis)…

Aber schön hund….(And they still insist that she looks good for her age….)

2 comments:

  1. point is Socks doesnt look 15 btw you are meant to send me a recent picture of her .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still haven't got around to taking a recent photo

    ReplyDelete