Sunday, May 10, 2009

Socks is too old to be trained....

I guess it is right that the oldest member of the family is the person who visits the doctor first. Since we moved to Dussseldorf I have been trying to set up contacts of doctors for the family but Socks needed to meet with a vet before anyone. Reason being she is on a prescription medication that is a pain reliever & reduces inflammation for her arthritis condition diagnosed about 6 months ago and we were running out of the supply we had brought with us from Cincinnati and I needed to get it refilled as quickly as possible.

I took the help of the Newcomers Guide: Welcome to Dusseldorf-Rhein-Ruhr and the Relocations Service Desk Info Kit and rang up an English speaking vet to help refill her prescription. I took Socks to see him couple of weeks back and in the course of our visit mentioned the possibility of training Socks to behave like the German dogs. They accompany their owners to supermarkets, shops, cafes and stay close to their owners even without a leash.

The vet said that Socks is too old to be trained - the way he put it was that - 'you know the saying - you cannot teach an old person new tricks'. I think what he meant to say was that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. He went on to explain that dogs learnt best between the ages of 0 - 3 and that I should not waste my money. Ah well, there's goes my pipe dream of getting Socks to walk without a leash and lie down under the table in the outdoor cafe while I am having kaffe & kuchen with a friend. The dream was great while it lasted, but I guess it is back to reality

No comments:

Post a Comment